Few things will ever look more adorable than your child’s smile, which is why you feel so strongly about protecting those newly developing teeth. Fortunately, in addition to excellent brushing and flossing habits and dental cleanings, you have more options when it comes to keeping your child out of our chair for restorations. On top of the preventive dentistry treatment you are accustomed to as an adult, we also offer dental sealants to protect your child’s developing back teeth from tooth decay. Interested in learning more about sealants? Look no further:
Fast Facts About Dental Sealants
- A dental sealant is a clear, thin coating of plastic that creates a barrier over your child’s back, hard-to-reach teeth.
- We will clean and dry your child’s back teeth and then paint on the sealants during an efficient, completely comfortable process.
- Sealants “seal” or cover the chewing surfaces of your child’s molars – this physical obstacle keeps plaque from adhering to teeth and hiding in the many crevices, fissures, and grooves, which offer an ideal environment for bacteria and food particles to become trapped or to hide.
- By keeping plaque adhesion from occurring, you greatly improve your child’s chances of avoiding cavity development in back teeth.
- Dental sealants are nearly impossible for you to see, so your child will not even recognize that they are there. However, with our trained eyes, we will be able to see the sealants and to keep an eye on their progress, letting you know if they require replacement.
- Sealants will last for up to five to 10 years, providing your child with long-term benefits.
- Your child will not need to change his or her brushing or flossing habits. Instead, dental sealants will give your child an extra safety net when learning and perfecting home hygiene efforts. Rather than feeling disappointed by home care as a result of cavity formation, you can give your child extra time to feel proud of his or her efforts even if they still need a bit of improvement.
ABOUT YOUR SAN FERNANDO VALLEY DENTISTS:
To learn more about choosing oral care products and preventive dentistry at A New Smile Dental Group, contact us at (818) 897-5771. Our San Fernando Valley location serves patients living in Pacoima, Granada Hills, Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks, and the surrounding communities.