Did you know that nearly 22 million Americans have sleep apnea? That is only counting individuals that have been diagnosed. There are many more people suffering from sleep apnea that probably do not realize it. People who have sleep apnea often don’t know it because…guess what? They’re asleep. It is often brought to their attention by a spouse or a family member. Do you know someone who has sleep apnea? If you did would you know? How much do you know about sleep apnea? Take the true or false quiz below to find out.
True Or False?
- True or False: Sleep Apnea has only one sign: loud, excessive snoring.
- True or False: There is no need to worry about sleep apnea because it is harmless.
- True or False: There is no treatment for sleep apnea.
- False: Sleep apnea presents with many symptoms including loud, excessive snoring, breathing lapses, gasping, snorting, choking during sleep, and micro-awakenings (waking up for seconds at a time without being aware of it).
- False: Sleep apnea can cause a myriad of emotional and physical issues including falling asleep while driving, lack of concentration, delayed response times, lost productivity, interpersonal relationship problems, and long-term health problems. It has also been associated with high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, and a higher risk of heart attack and stroke.
- False: Treatment for sleep apnea is determined by the severity. For instance, mild apnea can be treated with a special type of night time mouth guard. Moderate to severe apnea is commonly treated with a C-PAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine that keeps the air flowing through your mouth and throat.
ABOUT YOUR LOS ANGELES GENERAL DENTISTS:
At A Briter Smile Dental Group, our dentists strive to offer each patient individual care and access to the latest in modern dentistry at an affordable price. If you would like to schedule a consultation, contact us at our Los Angeles office at (323) 747-1823. We proudly serve communities in Los Angeles, Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Glendale, Pasadena, Burbank, Hermon, and Washington Heights.