Compassionate Dental Care for Children
When it comes time to take your child to the dentist, feeling secure with the practice you have chosen is of the utmost importance. We encourage you to schedule a pediatric visit for your little one by the time their first tooth appears so they can quickly become accustomed to receiving excellent, professional dental treatment for life.
What to Expect from Pediatric Dentistry
Our priority is always to make sure you and your family feel comfortable and relaxed. When we first meet your child, we will create a safe, comfortable environment so your little one feels at ease. We will gently introduce your child to our practice, our staff, and our instruments to help them become more familiar and accepting of dental treatment. We offer a number of pediatric dental services, including:
- Sealants: Sealants protect your child’s back teeth, which are often hard to reach during brushing – especially for children who are still perfecting daily hygiene. The dentist will apply a thin layer of biocompatible plastic over the chewing surfaces of back teeth to keep harmful plaque at bay.
- Dental Crowns: A crown covers your child’s tooth completely, offering support and esthetic improvement. If your child’s tooth suffers severe damage, then a dental crown can provide a beautiful, natural-looking restoration.
- Custom Mouthguards: We encourage you to choose a sports guard for your child to wear during impact sports or other activities. A comfortable, custom-designed mouthpiece offers protection against accidental injuries and the potential need for costly restorative treatment.
- Composite Fillings: Just like the fillings we offer to older teens and adults, we also offer attractive, tooth-colored fillings to children who experience cavities.
- Safe Sedation: If your child feels anxious, or if we need to perform a procedure like a filling, then we may suggest a safe sedation method, such as nitrous oxide.
The Lifelong Benefits of Pediatric Dentistry
Beginning dental care early encourages your child to practice excellent daily hygiene from a young age, setting the stage for a lifetime of excellent oral health. Some of the more immediate benefits of pediatric dentistry include:
- Sedation provides your child with a more relaxing experience – our dentists will typically offer nitrous oxide upon request.
- Tooth-colored fillings, or white fillings, remove tooth decay from your child’s tooth and relieves the toothache associated with it.
- A custom mouthguard will protect your child from dental damage related to sports accidents and injuries.
- Sealants, or thin layers of plastic painted over your child’s back teeth, create a boundary that keeps plaque and food debris from settling between the cusps of their chewing surfaces.
- A dental crown can restore the appearance and function of your child’s tooth without resorting to a tooth extraction, which could compromise the growth of the underlying permanent tooth.