As we prepare to enter into a brand new year, it is time to take a look back in reflection on 2015. When it comes to your dental care, an area that is easy to assess (and equally easy to improve, if necessary) is your dental hygiene routine. The good news is that if you have been spending time dedicated to cleaning your smile every day, you are already adhering to the essential factor in preventive dentistry: Consistent care practices. As for the details, let’s find out how you’ve been doing (and if there’s anything you might change) with a quick quiz.
Dental Hygiene Quiz: True or False?
- True or False: A key factor in brushing your smile is brushing your tongue – patients often overlook this portion of dental hygiene because they focus on their gumline and their teeth.
- True or False: You should be brushing your teeth for five minutes each time you brush (three times a day).
- True or False: You only need to floss the portion of your smile that is visible to onlookers – flossing is for esthetic purposes.
- True. Bacteria hide anywhere they can, including the surface of your tongue. Unfortunately, skipping this part of your brushing routine can encourage oral illnesses and may contribute to stinky breath.
- False. To maximize the results of your brushing sessions, they should last approximately two minutes each – you can time yourself with a stopwatch, a song, or even an hourglass. In addition, you need to brush twice daily for effective dental hygiene.
- False. We suggest you floss your full smile once daily to remove the sticky substances (food debris and plaque) from between your teeth that lead to tooth decay and gingivitis – you cannot access these areas with your toothbrush alone.
ABOUT YOUR SAN FERNANDO VALLEY, CA, DENTIST:
At A New Smile Dental Group, our dentists strive to offer each patient individual care and access to high-quality, modern dentistry at an affordable price. If you would like to schedule a consultation, then call our San Fernando Valley, CA office today at (818) 897-5771. We proudly serve residents of Pacoima, CA, as well as San Fernando, Los Angeles, Granada Hills, Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks, and all surrounding communities.