Did you now that nearly half of adults in the US over the age of 30 suffer from periodontal disease? Also known as gum disease, periodontal disease affects the dental health of millions of people. Without treatment, some may run the risk of losing permanent teeth. Fortunately, there are a number of ways you can reduce your likelihood of developing this widespread and serious dental health issue.
Quiz on Periodontal Disease Prevention
1. True or False: Poor oral hygiene can lead to gum disease.
2. True or False: Patients with periodontal disease can exhibit multiple symptoms.
3. True or False: There are several risk factors for gum disease.
4. True or False: Routine dental cleanings can reduce the risk of gum disease.
1. True. Often, not taking care of our teeth allows plaque to buildup quickly. Caused by bacteria, plaque inflames the gums and often leads to gingivitis, which can soon progress to gum disease. By brushing your teeth thoroughly twice a day and flossing once, you can reduce your risk of developing periodontal disease.
2. True. Common symptoms of periodontal disease include gums that are sore, red, or bleed easily. Bad breath, receding gums, and loose teeth are also symptoms of gum disease. If you notice one or more of these symptoms, contact our office right away.
3. True. Risk factors for developing gum disease include tobacco use, stress, misalignment, immune-deficiencies, dry mouth, genetic predisposition, and for females, hormonal changes that accompany puberty, pregnancy, and menopause.
4. True. We recommend undergoing a thorough dental cleaning at least once every six months. During these appointments, we will remove plaque from your teeth that can’t be removed by brushing and flossing alone. A dental cleaning significantly reduces the chances of suffering from periodontal disease.
About Your Los Angeles Dentists
At A Briter Smile Dental Group, our dentists strive to offer each patient individual care and access to the latest in modern dentistry at an affordable price. If you would like to schedule a consultation, contact us at our Los Angeles office at (323) 747-1823. We proudly serve communities in Los Angeles, Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Glendale, Pasadena, Burbank, Hermon, and Washington Heights.