When it comes to dental health, most people worry about cavities or removing embarrassing teeth stains. Few people give much thought to the risk of oral cancer. Unfortunately, being diagnosed with oral cancer happens to over 43, 250 people every year. To uncover the presence of oral cancer in the earliest stages, we recommend patients undergo an oral cancer screening.
Oral Cancer Screening Quiz
1. True or False: The risk of oral cancer increases as you age.
2. True or False: There are multiple symptoms of oral cancer.
3. True or False: A New Smile offers precise oral cancer screenings.
4. True or False: You should undergo a screening at least once per year.
1. True. Patients over the age of 55, especially men, experience an elevated risk of developing oral cancer. Other risk factors include excessive alcohol consumption, smoking, and excessive exposure to the UV rays.
2. True. Patients may notice sores or rough patches in their mouths that don’t heal, even after two weeks. Hoarseness or pain when eating or swallowing is also common. Unexplained weight loss, bleeding, or numbness are all also potential indicators.
3. True. We provide oral cancer screenings using VELscope technology. Employing a convenient handheld device, our doctors can carefully exam your teeth and gums for signs of precancerous of possibly cancerous cells. If they discover any, we may recommend a biopsy.
4. True. You should have a screening at east once a year. We typically offer screenings as part of a regular checkup. Identifying the presence of oral cancer in the earliest stages is crucial of increasing your odds of making a full recovery. If you have any questions about our oral cancer screenings, please contact our office today.
About Your Canyon Country Dentists
At A New Smile Dental Group, our dentists strive to offer each patient individual care and access to the latest in modern dentistry at an affordable price. If you would like to schedule a consultation, contact us at our San Fernando Valley office at (818) 897-5771. We proudly serve communities in Canyon Country, Pacoima, San Fernando, Porter Ranch, Granada Hills, Sylmar, and Mission Hills.