Do you frequently snore? In addition to keeping your significant other from sleeping properly, chronic snoring can also be a sign of a serious sleep disorder. Understanding the symptoms and causes of this disorder is crucial for obtaining a good night’s rest and maintaining good overall health. At A Briter Smiles Dental Group, we discuss the link between snoring and sleep apnea.
Snoring and Sleep Apnea Quiz
1. True or False: Snoring can be a sign of sleep apnea.
2. True or False: This disorder can lead to serious health complications.
3. True or False: Simple lifestyle changes can reduce your symptoms.
4. True or False: A Briter Smile Dental Group offers treatment for this sleep disorder.
1. True. Snoring occurs when airflow is partially blocked during sleep. The air being forced through the throat causes soft tissues to vibrate, leading to snoring. Sleep apnea develops when airflow is completely blocked by soft tissue in the mouth and throat. Cutting off air, the body is then woken up to start breathing again. Soon, the patient is sleep deprived. Snoring, along with daytime drowsiness and waking up gasping for air or choking, is a common indicator.
3. True. Losing weight, sleeping on your side, avoiding alcohol or caffeine before bed, and keeping your room dark and cool can all help decrease your symptoms.
4. True. With an oral appliance, we can move the jaw forward to keep soft tissues from blocking airflow. This offers a comfortable and minimally invasive treatment option. If you have any questions about our snoring and sleep disorder treatment options, talk to our office today.
About Your Los Angeles Dentists
At A Briter Smile Dental Group, our dentists strive to offer each patient individual care and access to the latest in modern dentistry at an affordable price. If you would like to schedule a consultation, contact us at our Los Angeles office at (323) 747-1823. We proudly serve communities in Los Angeles, Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Glendale, Pasadena, Burbank, Hermon, and Washington Heights.