When exciting times like Halloween approach, you can find yourself feeling somewhat conflicted and concerned. First, you know that good oral health depends on preventive care – and doing your best to avoid sugars and starches that contribute to problems like tooth decay. Unfortunately, this seems to come into complete conflict with your desire to indulge in delicious drinks, candy, and all of the other delicacies that accompany holiday time. Don’t worry – you can keep your smile from looking ghoulish. See how much you know (or learn more) with a quick quiz.
True-or-False Quiz: Halloween and Your Oral Health
- True or False: It’s best to choose a particular time to eat candy (even if it’s quite a lot of candy in one sitting) rather than slowly snacking on sweets over the course of the entire day to protect your oral health.
- True or False: Eating sugar is harmful all around – even if you brush your teeth afterwards, the damage has been done, so it’s not worth the effort.
- True or False: Sugary treats primarily affect your oral health and currently healthy tissues – you shouldn’t worry about your restorations, from crowns to fillings, though since they are practically immune to damage resulting from eating candy.
Quiz Answer Key
- True. When you eat sugar, the bacteria within plaque feed on the sugar, digest it, and release acids into your mouth. The acids weaken tooth enamel, which leads to tooth decay. If this happens once a day (followed by rinsing and brushing) the exposure is limited. However, if your teeth are experiencing an acid attack all day long, the potential for damage greatly increases.
- False. Quickly rinsing afterwards (followed by brushing 30 minutes later) offers exceptional protection because you remove the sugar from your teeth, rather than allowing it to sit for hours.
- False. Very sticky candies can damage work like dental fillings and crowns. Avoid these varieties.
ABOUT YOUR LOS ANGELES, CA, DENTISTS:
At A Briter Smile Dental Group, our dentists strive to offer each patient individual care and access to high-quality, modern dentistry at an affordable price. If you would like to schedule a consultation, then call our Los Angeles, CA office today at (323) 255-8774. We proudly serve residents of Los Angeles, CA, as well as San Fernando, Pacoima, Granada Hills, Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks, and all surrounding communities.