Did you know that nearly 97 adult Americans snore at least sometimes, and 37 million snore regularly? There are dentists that treat snoring and sleep apnea, and A New Smile Dental Group is one of the practices that deal with these issues. Some symptoms of sleep apnea include daytime exhaustion, moodiness, and lack of concentration. Snoring can be a symptom of sleep apnea, but not everyone who snores has sleep apnea. Sleep is important to your mental, physical, and emotional health. Below we discuss why you may be getting sleepy.
- Fact #1: The average adult requires 7 to 9 hours of sleep. While some adults can function on as little as 4, 5, or 6 hours of sleep others can barely function on 9 or 10.
- Fact #2: The quality of sleep you get is more important than how much sleep you get.
- Fact #3: REM sleep is the deepest sleep stage.
- Fact #4: You dream during REM sleep.
- Fact #5: People who are deprived of REM sleep and dreaming can develop serious mental, physical, and emotional problems.
- Fact #6: Individuals who suffer from sleep apnea stop breathing for seconds at a time and wake often throughout the night.
- Fact #7: Side effects from sleep apnea can negatively impact your quality of life including putting you at a higher risk for stroke and heart attack.
- Fact #8: Melatonin is a natural hormone produced by the brain can help reduce the amount of time it takes to fall asleep at night as well as how many times you wake up.
- Fact #9: Your dentist can help treat sleep apnea.
ABOUT YOUR LOS ANGELES GENERAL DENTISTS:
At A Briter Smile Dental Group, our dentists strive to offer each patient individual care and access to the latest in modern dentistry at an affordable price. If you would like to schedule a consultation, contact us at our Los Angeles office at (323) 747-1823. We proudly serve communities in Los Angeles, Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Glendale, Pasadena, Burbank, Hermon, and Washington Heights.