Particularly for patients who have just been diagnosed with a need for sleep apnea treatment, bruxism treatment or something similar, the holidays can present what seems like a challenging experience. You’re suffering from one of a variety of uncomfortable symptoms, from jaw pain to difficulty sleeping, and you’re faced with a high volume of parties, tasks, chores, and often travel. Before you become overwhelmed and wonder how you will get through in one piece, let alone with the chance to actually enjoy yourself, take a deep breath. We have some helpful (and simple) advice that will see you smiling your way through.
For Snoring and Sleep Apnea
If you are suffering from snoring and sleep apnea, we have some easy suggestions for you. First, schedule time to see us for sleep apnea treatment as soon as possible. In the meantime, we suggest that you follow tried-and-true remedies to lessen your nightly disruption:
- Sleep on your side or stomach, not your back
- Don’t drink alcohol at night or take sleeping pills to relax – they will relax your throat tissues
- Prop your head up on pillows
- Take allergy pills or other remedies to address congested nasal or sinus passages
For Bruxism and TMJ Disorder
Just like we offer sleep apnea treatment, we offer bruxism and TMJ disorder treatment, for which we suggest you see us as soon as possible. To get through the holidays, however, consider the following:
- Use your mouth and jaws sparingly – don’t chew gum, bite fingernails, chew on ice, or snack on hard or chewy foods
- Relax your smile and jaws – this may simply mean taking time to breathe, meditate, or listen to calm music
- Use over-the-counter pain relievers or cold/heat packs for immediate relief
ABOUT YOUR SANTA CLARITA VALLEY, CA, DENTIST:
At A New Smile Dental Group, our dentists strive to offer each patient individual care and access to high-quality, modern dentistry at an affordable price. If you would like to schedule a consultation, then call our Santa Clarita Valley, CA office today at (661) 251-0480. We proudly serve residents of Canyon Country and Santa Clarita Valley, CA, as well as San Fernando, Los Angeles, Granada Hills, Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks, and all surrounding communities.